Thursday, January 22, 2009

LIP BALM ADDICTION

I have been using lip balms ever since I was old enough to apply my very own strawberry flavored balm.  From then on I couldn't get enough, I had to try every brand in every flavor.  Today, I have three tubes in my desk drawer, two in my bathroom, one on my nightstand and one lost in every purse.  And my fiance has to constantly remind me to check my pant pockets before doing laundry.  I guess I have ruined too many of our clothes.  But I still can't stop.

As it turns out, there are a few different aspects that make lip balms addictive:
1) There is a psychological addiction, due to the immediate moisturization to the lips;  it sends a signal to you brain to stop producing skin cells which result in drier lips once the lip balm wears off.
2) It can become an oral fixation or habit to  continually apply salve to you lips like chewing gum or biting your nails.   Some addicts reapply as much as every 10 minutes.
3) Many lip balms can include camphor and menthol that give lips tiny tingly rush.

So what's the cure?

The best advice I've heard for dry lips is to simply keep your tongue inside your mouth and quit licking your lips!  Pretty simple, but if that is too much you can try to wean yourself from lip balms by only allowing yourself to put it on at certain times during the day like after meals or before you go to bed.

If you are addicted, and then you might consider check out our Dry Lip Therapy  that feature natural kukui and macadamia oils to add extra moisturization.

If you can't break the habit, that's okay too because there are plenty of worse things you could be addicted to...like chocolate.

No comments: